Saturday 6 January 2018

MEG: INSPIRED BY SUFFRAGETTES...

Student Meg describes how the topic of suffragettes and feminism inspired an amazing dance piece for a recent college show...

Meg says:
I am studying Musical Theatre (HND 1) at a performing arts college, and our recent Christmas show was created by the HND 2 students as part of one of their assessments. It involved multiple dances across the years in college, whole class songs and solos which were auditioned for. We also performed pieces we had created within class. Our topic was feminism and the Suffragette Movement - we'd never worked on something like that as it was our first term of college, but our tutor Jenny guided us and helped us see what was possible.

The work progressed from discussion to practical movement. We printed off speeches by Emmeline Pankhurst, Emma Watson, Ashley Judd and the 'Nasty Woman' poem by Nina Donovan. We picked out key quotes and ideas began to flow. Most of the piece was created by us students, developing ideas into choreography, and forming small groups to create parts which could be added together to form a whole. Our teacher wrote the song we danced to and choreographed the final two minutes of the dance, which included sign language of a key phrase from Emma Watson's speech, 'If not me, who? If not now, when?'

Before beginning the project, some of us had a lot of knowledge on the subject and threw ourselves into the discussion right away - others in the class learnt as we went along and are now just as passionate about it! With this dance piece we wanted to make people more aware about the global situation in regard to gender equality and how it truly is a big deal. Feminists are not just working to change things for women but to make a fairer world for everyone. With this performance we felt that we could give our all in spreading this important message in an unusual and powerful way. The performance stood out, and we closed the show with it - we received huge applause and many people were moved to tears, including some of us whilst performing! It left us feeling empowered and full of positive energy afterwards.

Musical theatre to me is a sort of safe space in the way I can let all my emotions out and do so wholeheartedly - I am passionate about it. It means a lot to me, and it's something I feel comfortable doing. However, every time I perform or try something new I push myself further in order to make myself just a little bit better than I was yesterday!

Cathy says:
Wow... this performance took place not far from where I live, and it made quite a stir! I love that a concept like feminism can be developed into something so creative and so get the message across in a new and powerful way! Do YOU have passion for dance - or feminism? COMMENT BELOW to have your say!

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, this sounds great! I'm so glad that there were suffragettes fighting for us. I can't imagine not voting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Samantha Rebecca Samuels9 January 2018 at 00:22

    Hi my name is Samantha I can relate my my life was a fight I thought I lost I had to battle anxiety depression and epilepsy all those going through similar situations don't give up you are warriors I never cut myself in a year because singing helped especially demi Lovato and her story iam 18 now and my epilepsy is now stable cause I never gave up .https://youtu.be/sjX814mqHD8

    ReplyDelete

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...