Wednesday 23 August 2017

WALL OF THOUGHT...

Reader Deborah tells us about an exciting campaign to raise awareness for young people with mental illness...


Deborah says:
Our event is called WALL OF THOUGHT. We're going to set up a whiteboard and pens outside Enfield Town Library and allow people passing by to write their feelings, problems or anything they would like to get off their chests on the board, in exchange for a sweet and a hopeful message to brighten their day. We'll be starting around 11am and finishing around 3pm on the 26th August 2017. Our campaign is supported by NCS The Challenge and partnered with the charity Exposure.

Exposure is a charity founded specifically for young people. It provides a platform for them to be able to express themselves and also wish to raise awareness for young people with mental illness. Their goal is to make sure that no young person feels they have nowhere to belong.

This charity really inspires me as it shows that there are groups of people in this world that do not class young people as anything less than what they can be. Exposure helps people to find their own voice and make their mark in the world regardless of their situation. I would love to take part in their work sometime  soon!

Cathy says:
This is a simple idea but it could be very effective... I hope it goes well for Deborah and her friends! Have YOU ever been part of an event to raise awareness for a cause you really care about? COMMENT BELOW to tell us more!

2 comments:

  1. I recently spent the last of my savings on a tattoo for the charity Hope For The Day. They're a mental health awareness and suicide prevention charity and they believe in breaking the stigma around talking about mental health and suicidal feelings because keeping stuff bottled up never helps. Their slogan is "It's OK Not To Be OK" which is reassuring to hear in a world where we're expected to pin a smile on our face and answer "How are you?" with "Fine, and you?". They're very pro-self expression which I agree with so, although the tattoo was a bonus, I wanted to support this charity. I donated £102 in all and got a tattoo that represents my own ongoing struggle with mental illness. Altogether, we raised over £1860 for HFTD. It was a good outcome. If I ever manage to get through my own struggles, I'd definitely consider volunteering for a mental health awareness charity but for now, donating is the next best thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Action For Children brought me through tears and tough times, and I will never be able to thank them enough for what they have helped me with. I did a cake sale with my friends once and raised £35 for them!!!!! :)

    Love, Sara

    ReplyDelete

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...