Sunday 21 May 2017

ZARA: ONLY DEAD FISH GO WITH THE FLOW...

Reader Zara speaks out about the way we are judged for our looks - and the way we are all pressured to conform to what society expects of us...


Zara says:
We are all different. We all look different. We are all individual and we are all unique. Not everyone always sees this though. Many see their differences as flaws and try to change them - or at least, some do. Make up is one of the easiest things we can us to change our appearance - but it won't change you as a person. You can apply as much foundation and mascara as you want, but you can never be truly 'perfect' - if there is such a thing.

We are all perfect in our own way, the same on the inside, but the world does not tell us this. The people we know don't always ell us this either, but now I am telling you! You don't need make up or money to be happy, you don't need good grades or the best house. You need people who surround you every day, who know - as you should - that you are beautiful. You are kind. You are strong. All your flaws and imperfections, they are a part of you too and you wouldn't be the same without them. You wouldn't be the kindest person with the biggest heart, the most perfect smile, the most radiant eyes that could light up any room. That personality of yours - wow! You are understanding, you are empathic, you are the best friend that anyone could ever have, and nothing could change that.

Nothing should change that, because I don't want you to change. I hate change. I hate it when my local pizza shop changes the box, I hate it when I move house or fall out with friends. I regret not telling people every day how much they mean to me, but you know what? I am afraid. I'm afraid I will be picked on because of my voice, my 'stupid' accent that is so 'funny'. I am scared that every time I say something or do something that I am not good enough, not worthy enough of you. Of the rest of the world who look down with such condescending eyes, who tell me I should have a prettier face, a whiter smile, that I should wear make up to make myself look better and solve my problems. That I should be smarter and slimmer and should dance and like everything that everybody else does. That I should just 'Go with the flow.'

You know what? Only dead fish go with the flow. I am not a dead fish. I am a human being just like you. I should be treated the same. We are all human. We are all different. We are all the same...

Awesome artwork by talented reader Tyler - THANK YOU!

Cathy says:
Wow... so much food for thought here! Do YOU have an opinion on what Zara has said? Should we conform, go with the flow? Or celebrate our perfect imperfection? COMMENT BELOW to have YOUR say!

No comments:

Post a Comment

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...