Sunday 25 December 2016

OWEN: I WAS ONE OF SANTA'S ELVES....

DREAMCATCHER brings you a Boxing Day exclusive... behind the scenes with one of Santa's elves!

Owen says:
I'm nineteen and a college student studying Graphic Design, Photography and Creative Writing...maybe I should have taken Drama, though! I started working as an elf last year - someone tagged me in a post asking people to audition for the local activity farm. I got the job! A year on and I've also been the Mad Hatter, Frankenstein and Frankenstein's Bride (not at the same time, obviously) and now I'm back to being an elf again.

The job involve taking groups of ten kids (plus parents) on the Santa Tour. We start at Mrs Claus' Kitchen where the kids decorate gingerbread men, and then a team of two elves takes the group up to see Santa in one of the barns. Upon entering we find that Santa is asleep (again!) so we lead the kids in shouting to wake him up. Once he's awake he checks to see if children are written down in the good book! Finally, we go to see the reindeer and make some magical food for them which people take home to spread out on their garden on Christmas Eve!

The main skill required for being an elf is to be able to talk to people - we chat to everyone, every day! Being willing to make a fool of yourself helps, and staying happy and upbeat all the time is key. I love working with my fellow elves - we all get on really well and joke around a lot. Seeing the faces of the kids when they see Santa is fun too, the amazement and wonder if just magical. It's not just the kids who like seeing Santa... he's very friendly and easy to talk to. We have a lot of 'Santa Banter' as we've been calling it! The only tricky bit is staying happy all the time... we all love being elves but we get very, very tired by the end of the day!

Sadly, I don't get to help Santa with his Christmas deliveries - I imagine that part of Christmas is very stressful for him, but for some reason he's quite secretive and doesn't ask for help. I imagine it's because he doesn't want anyone else to worry. Now that Christmas is over, I plan to catch up on some much-needed sleep! I also have a lot of college course work to finish... wish me luck with that one!

Cathy says:
Love this... an exclusive interview with one of Santa's elves, what could be better? ;o) Would YOU make a good helper for Santa? COMMENT BELOW to have your say!

No comments:

Post a Comment

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...