Thursday 6 October 2016

LAURA: I FEEL ALONE

It's problem page time on DREAMCATCHER again, and reader Laura has a problem for Summer Tanberry to solve...

Laura says:
I am thirteen years old and do well at school, and I have a great group of friends and a family who care about me. I am lucky and I know I should be grateful for the life I have, but over the last few months I have been feeling more and more unhappy. It's hard to explain, but the fun has gone from life and everything feels like such an effort. I can't seem to care anymore about school work and even when I am with my friends supposedly having fun, I feel detached and on the outside. My thoughts get so dark that sometimes I wonder what the point of being here at all is. Why can't I be happy?

Summer says:
I do understand this feeling, I promise. It doesn't matter how much the world may think you have going for you, how lucky you seem to be to others, it is still possible to feel very lost and alone. You're depressed, and it's important to understand that depression can be an imbalance of chemicals in the brain, and can happen to anyone. It's not the same as the feeling of sadness we experience after a death or a trauma. Mental health issues are just as serious as any physical illness, but often we try to hide them or see ourselves as weak for having these feelings. I promise you, depression can happen to the strongest of people. Please go along to your GP and explain how you are feeling - print out this blog post if it helps. Your school and family also need to know... support is there if you just find the courage to seek it out. You're in a dark place, but this time will pass... and better days lie ahead. Take care, and please find the help you need.

Cathy says:
I agree with Summer - it's time for Laura to tell her parents and GP about this and get the help she needs to turn things around. Have YOU ever struggled with depression? Do YOU agree with summer's advice? COMMENT BELOW to have your say.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with the advice completely. Don't leave it anymore, its time to step up and speak up. This can be one of the hardest things, and yet... it will brighten the days ahead even if it doesn't feel like that at the time.
    I have never had depression, but I have had another form of mental illness, and gosh, it was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do to get out of it. Many people do not understand or recognise a mental health issue, but at the same time, many do. And lots of those people will put out a helping hand. Its not going to be over just like that. But if you work hard and with the right kind of help for you, you will reach the other side. Best of wishes Laura. And hope for better things to come x

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are nervous try talking to a grown up that you trust until it's too late! Good luck! :D

    ReplyDelete

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...