Wednesday 27 January 2016

MARINA: SOMEONE STOLE FROM ME

It's problem page time on DREAMCATCHER again and reader Marina has a friendship problem that could prove tricky to solve... can SKYE TANBERRY offer some answers?

Marina says:
I had a sleepover last week with four of my closest friends. Three of them I have known since I was in primary, and one, let's call her Jade, just joined our school before Christmas but quickly became a part of our friendship group. After the sleepover, I noticed a silver charm bracelet was missing from my dressing table - my gran gave it to me and it is very special to me. I looked everywhere for it but it has vanished. I hate to say it, but one of my friends must have taken it and I can't help suspecting Jade, just because I don't really know her as well as the others I suppose, but I hate this feeling of mistrust and I feel betrayed. I am scared to say anything because this could pull our friendship group apart, but I cannot keep pretending to my mum that I've mislaid the bracelet. Help!

Skye says:
First of all, stop trying to cover this up - you need some adult help to unravel this. Tell your mum what has happened and together search the room and eliminate once and for all any chance that it has been mislaid. If it turns up, great... crisis averted! If not, I suggest your mum contacts the mums of the other girls involved and perhaps the school also, until the missing bracelet is found. This does not have to be a matter of accusing people... more that the bracelet went missing when these girls were present and it needs to be found. I understand why your suspicions fall on Jade, as you don't know her well, but it is also possible that one of your older friends has done this... or that someone has tried to plant the bracelet on one of the group to cause trouble. Let the school and the adults investigate and try not to jump to conclusions. Hopefully, the bracelet will be found and you may then have to adjust your friendships accordingly - it is tough to trust and stay close to someone who steals from a friend. If you decide to step back from your friendship with the culprit, do it gently and without anger... in many ways, this action is a lashing out by a troubled person, and may not have been meant to hurt you as much as it did. It's also possible that the bracelet won't be found, and that is harder... trust has been damaged and that will affect the whole friendship group. Try not to let this incident stop you from trusting people... friendships are built on trust. For now, talk to your family and get some help to solve the mystery - and good luck.

Cathy says:
A very difficult problem... and as Skye says, one that may not have a neat ending. Do YOU agree with Skye's advice? What extra suggestions would you add? COMMENT BELOW to have your say!

3 comments:

  1. Skye, I think you should act like you don't know it's missing say your going to wear it then the one who tells you not to is the one who betrayed you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, Angel cupcakes.

      Delete
  2. I think you should let the teachers sort it, if asked publicly the criminal might just crack, or otherwise I agree with Angel Cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...