Thursday 20 August 2015

LILY: I WANT SOMETHING I CAN'T HAVE...

It's agony aunt time on DREAMCATCHER again… and reader Lily has a heartfelt question for Summer Tanberry…

Lily says:
I have been doing ballet since I was about six. I have always taken it seriously and worked very hard at it and I have big dreams. Recently some classes from my dance school got the chance to work with students and teachers from the Scottish Ballet. I literally couldn't sleep the night before, I was so excited, and I loved every minute of the workshop. Then I found out that three girls from my class have been invited to audition for special classes in Glasgow, but I was not picked. I felt crushed. I tried to speak to my teacher about it but she said, very kindly, that not everyone is cut out to be a professional dancer but that I should keep going because ballet was 'much more than that'. I know she was only telling me the truth, but it feels like she has destroyed my whole world. I haven't been back to class since as I feel so embarrassed and ashamed. I thought I had a chance, and all the time everyone must have been laughing at me.

Summer says:
Nobody was laughing at you, I promise. It's true that not everyone can be a professional dancer, but everyone can fall in love with ballet and that is nothing to be ashamed of. Ballet casts a kind of spell over us sometimes, doesn't it? The thing is, ballet is a very tough career. There is no room for those who don't make the grade, and even brilliant dancers can be turned away because of tiny details like body shape, bone structure, alignment. For those who do make it, the path gets tougher still. The pressure is huge, and still the chances of success are slim. I have to live with the regret that I could not take the pressure; my illness stole any chances I may have had of a career onstage, and that's something I will always live with. Rejection hurts, but I promise you, you are much more than a wonderful dancer… you are a determined person, a dreamer, a girl with ambition. Like me, you may have to adjust your ambitions and shape your dreams a little differently, but you can still build a wonderful and magical future. Don't take this to heart… when one door closes, another opens. It's time to find that door.

Cathy says:
Do you agree with Summer's advice? What would YOU add to it? COMMENT BELOW to have your say!

4 comments:

  1. Listen to Summer Lily she knows what she is talking about. Don't be ashamed to go back to classes, a few weeks ago my football coach pushed me so hard I almost broke. I seriously considered giving it up but I said no, I am much more stronger than that. Next session I walked in with my head held high ready for anything and he is talking me seriously now, I was even asked to train with the U18s ( I'm 13). My advice is don't let other people bring you down or tell what you can or can't do if you did everything you were capable of you would literally astound yourself.
    Clare ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been going to Judo for seven years and trust me i've wanted to stop a LOT of times but when i'm actually doing it i feel so strong and powerful and i love that feeling which is why i keep going.In Judo when you're thrown to the ground( It happens a lot) you've got to get up and put it behind you and stay strong.Remember Practise makes perfect and even when youre not if you try your best that should be enough .My advise is to believe in yourself even when others don't.If they say you can't try hard to prove them wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with this, I've been doing Judo 10 years and I've actually quit once, I'm so glad I went back! I got my green belt a few months ago and the teachers are letting me teach (or attempt to teach) the new girls (including a blind girl) some basics.
      BTW, so nice to meet a fellow judoka!

      Delete
  3. I totally agree with that advice, Summer is right. Try adjusting your dream a little bit, you'll get there in the end, don't worry! Things will end well, don't worry, good luck, Lily!;)

    ReplyDelete

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...