Thursday 23 July 2015

HOLLY: YEAR ELEVEN PROM!

Reader Holly shares her experience of going to prom and saying farewell to school… and it sounds just awesome!

Holly says:
For many Year Sevens, the Year Eleven Prom may seem like a lifetime away, but your time at secondary school will come and go quickly and before you know it, it's time to dress up and celebrate the fact that your time at school is coming to a close and the classmates you've spent the last few years with will be heading off to follow very different paths. Prom is a great opportunity to spend time with all of your friends to be together and have a delicious meal before dancing the night away! The venue for our prom was the Ramada hotel in our local town - a beautiful place with stunning views and stylish function rooms. I would definitely recommend it!

The food was amazing, too. I chose an assiette of melon with mint jus and blackcurrant sorbet for a starter, then salmon supreme with white wine sauce and vegetables. I thought it was the nicest food I'd ever eaten - until the pudding arrived! I'd chosen a chocolate tart, and I have to say it was heaven on a plate. It was so rich that I couldn't finish it, but I could happily eat that dessert over and over again. It wasn't just the food and the venue that made it special - we had a professional photographer and a photobooth too, so we got to have both formal and informal photos of our evening… and be entertained, too!

The most important thing of all for prom, in my opinion, is the dress. My advice is not to spend too much on it as you'll most likely only wear it once - still, choose something that is right for you, reflects your personality and makes you feel the most beautiful you have ever felt! There is often an after-party after the prom, hosted at someone's house, so anyone who wants their evening to go on into the early hours can just keep on partying. Year Eleven prom really IS the huge, special party that you've always dreamed about… so when your turn comes around, go ahead and enjoy!

Cathy says:
Awesome! There were no proms in the UK back when I was leaving school, so Holly's account is fascinating to me. Love the dress, too! Do YOU like the idea of a school prom? COMMENT BELOW to tell us why - or why not!

7 comments:

  1. Mine's an all girl grammar school so I doubt that there'll be any proms down there, but I did have a primary one and that we had an evening filled with endless fun and excitement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you mean 'dessert' - she may have some qualms about eating a desert! I didn't go to prom. I couldn't think of anything worse than spending an entire evening in the company of classmates I hated, wearing uncomfortable clothing and being expected to eat in front of people which I cannot do. I spent my money on chocolate instead. My brother went to prom in S5 and S6. The first year, he went with his friend in the year above and had a great time. The second time, he was made to take a friend of a friend he really disliked so he wore a gaudy Union Jack suit jacket and tie to ruin her photos. Good lad. His outfit was the highlight of the night because apparently, the service was awful, the food was mediocre and his so-called friends were nasty. I dislike my old school's strict rules on prom. As of this year, boys can only take girls to prom and girls can only take boys to prom - no same sex couples allowed. Furthermore, boys have to wear suits and girls have to wear dresses which sucked for my agender friend who likes female clothing but is biologically male (they wore a dress but got in trouble for it) and would make cross dressers like myself who identify as one gender and present as another very uncomfortable indeed. How is prom meant to be fun when you're not allowed to dress how you want to and aren't allowed to go with your same-sex partner or friend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At my school, you can go with whoever you like! It's an anti-bullying, anti-sexism, anti-homophobic school. There are 4 proms!

      Delete
  3. My prom was interesting. It took months for my friends to persuade me to go- it wasn't amazing but it was good to be with friends and catch up with teachers. Our food wasn't great (they didn't cook enough and friend had a spider in hers!), I can't dance so no dancing and half our year left so they could drink alcohol! My dress was also £20 but I had a lot of positive comments which was amazing. Overall I actually did enjoy it (especially considering I wouldn't have gone without a lot of pushing from mum and friends) because the people who I cared about were there and we made our own fun (like sneaking away to see the llamas!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Llamas!!! That sounds like the perfect prom to me! xxx

      Delete
  4. My school has two proms: one for the year 11s and one for the year 13s in Sixth Form. All of my friends went to their year eleven prom, except for one who got so sick of being asked to it that she boycotted in rage. Since the only boys at my school are sixth formers, there were pretty limited options for dates, so they were allowed to go alone or with groups of friends. Basically, if you coughed up for a ticket, you were in! There were different bits that sold it to each of my friends: one of them loved dancing with her boyfriend and proving all of the people who said she'd never get one wrong; another loved the music and hilarious dancing with her friends; another was amazed by the lengths the staff and srudents had gone to to decorate the room. Our proms are held in our old-fashioned hall, but the school really does try to make it beautiful. I'm definitely going to my year 11 prom, since I would love to dress up and have a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never planned to go to my prom. I did in the end, but it was a last minute decision. I went with my then friendship group in a bright white limo, and it was alright. The food wasn't much to go by...

    I didn't go for the normal traditional prom dress: I had a red and black party dress from H&R London, and a top hat fascinator! Definitely stood out from the crowd! :D

    ReplyDelete

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...