Friday 8 May 2015

VALERIE: BAY CITY ROLLERS, FLARED TROUSERS & A FEATHER CUT...

Another in our regular series of what it's like to grow up in a different decade… Valerie tells us all about being a teen in the 1970s!

Valerie says:
I was a quiet teenager, close to my friends, very loyal and a good listener. I wanted to be a teacher but it seemed I wasn't clever enough to go on to college - and university seemed like a million miles away. I followed my sisters footsteps and moved into clerical work, but I knew there was something more, something better. I returned to my studies, attending night school, and this time my grades were distinctions! I met new friends and this gave me new confidence and a desire to do well, go further in life. Night school led to university and university led to me becoming a qualified school librarian. I now manage a successful school library and I have the pleasure and responsibility of teaching, too!

So what was the 1970s like? So many memories...

Dressing to impress
Saturday job
Bay City Rollers
Osmonds
David Cassidy
Monkey boots
Flared trousers
First disco night out
Hated school uniform
Feather haircut
Jackie magazine
Starsky and Hutch
Mork and Mindy
Keeping a diary
Shorthand - I envied my sister who was learning it!
Pierced ears
Coppertone
Scholls sandals
Autograph book Spirograph
Roller skates
Roll on perfume
Jelly shoes
Taping the Top Twenty from the radio onto a cassette

Cathy says:
I love Valerie's account of being a teen in the 1970s because I remember loads of this, too! Would YOU have liked being a teen in the 1970s? COMMENT BELOW to have your say!

No comments:

Post a Comment

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...