Monday 20 October 2014

JESSICA: LIVING WITH DYSPRAXIA

Recently it was Dyspraxia Awareness Week… but how many of us really understand what dyspraxia is? Reader Jess explain what it's like to live with the condition.

Jessica says:
Dyspraxia is an invisible disability. Like dyslexia, it is a specific learning difficulty and like dyslexia, it does not affect your intelligence. Instead, it causes problems with co-ordination, movement and spatial awareness. I'm no longer a teenager, but those years can be particularly difficult for someone with dyspraxia. Getting dressed, brushing hair and brushing teeth are difficult, and school holds many challenges. PE is very hard; in science, doing experiments can be a problem; and in Maths, using compasses, rulers and scissors are often seriously challenging. Busy situations and lots of noise can be distressing, and of course it is difficult to be different from your peers and to struggle with things they find very easy.

There is a book called Caged In Chaos by Victoria Briggs which is aimed at teenagers with dyspraxia. It's a fantastic book which I really recommend to anyone. There is also a great forum called Dyspraxic teens which is very useful and can be a good support. It is always good to find people who understand and accept you. At school I was bullied quite badly - dyspraxia isn't always easy to understand and that's one of the reasons I wanted to write this, so that young people can understand more and be more accepting. I had a hard time at school but now I've left it is much easier… I have friends of all ages now who accept me for who I am.

Teenagers with dyspraxia may seem different as they are struggling with a range of challenges, but give them a chance - they are well worth getting to know. They often feel lonely and isolated, as people don't always understand the frustrations, difficulties and issues they face every day… and trust me, they have just the same feelings as everyone else.

Photo posed by model Hannah

Cathy says:
Jess's post about what dyspraxia is and how it impacts on teenage life is an eye-opener… I think it will help lots of people to understand the condition better. COMMENT BELOW to have your say!

4 comments:

  1. I have dyspraxia and I have flat feet its annoying when I can't wear flip flops because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...