Tuesday 30 September 2014

LAURA'S ORANGE FAIRY CAKES!

Get the 'Bake-Off' vibe and rustle up some lush and zesty orange fairy cakes… reader Laura shows you how!

Laura says:
I have been baking ever since I was a toddler - as soon as I could stand up, really. I generally just licked the bowl - well, doesn't everyone? Normally I bake simple Victoria sponge cakes and cupcakes, but now I am branching out and trying more things. I have baked for my friend's Macmillan Coffee Morning, for my dad's running club and for the Christmas Fair at my old primary school. My next projects are lemon and blueberry cupcakes and red velvet and chocolate marbled cupcakes! I'll keep you posted on how I get on, but meanwhile I think you'll love this recipe!

You will need...

for the fairy cakes:

100g caster sugar
100g soft margarine
2 eggs
100g self raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Grated rind of 1 orange


for the icing:

225g icing sugar
juice of 1 orange (the one you grated earlier!)


Method:

Pre-heat oven to 200c/400f/gas mark 6. Place about 18 paper cake cases in bun tins. I only had a tin for 12 so I just made really big fairy cakes - it worked great!)
Measure ingredients into a large bowl and beat well for 2-3 minutes until the mixture is smooth and glossy. Spoon into the paper cases so they are half-full.
Bake for 15-10 minutes until cakes are well risen and golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
Place icing sugar in a bowl and add orange juice until the icing is fairly stiff and smooth. Spoon on top of cakes. I added some grated orange rind on top to make them look nice!

Last but not least - enjoy!

Cathy says:
These look and sound gorgeous… I imagine they would work really well with lemon too! Do YOU have a favourite cakey recipe? COMMENT BELOW to tell us more!

2 comments:

  1. They look amazing! Keep up the good work! ;-) Rosiexxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

EMILY: INSPIRED TO HELP REFUGEES

Reader Emily, aged ten, explains how a Cathy Cassidy book inspired her to raise money for a refugee charity... Emily says: The Cathy Cassidy...